Chromomycin A3, a fluorescent DNA stain and antibiotic, has been reported to strongly inhibit zinc-dependent transcriptional activity of sheep Metallothionein 1A promoter in reporter gene assays of transfected cells. This compound has also been shown to be a potent inhibitor of neuronal apoptosis induced by glutathione depletion-induced oxidative stress and DNA-damaging agent Camptothecin (sc-200871). Mechanistic studies suggest that Chromomycin A3 antagonizes enhanced DNA binding of the transcription factors Sp1 and Sp3 to their cognate "G-C" box, induced by oxidative stress or DNA damage. Furthermore, by inhibiting transcription, Chromomycin A3 and its structural analogs can inhibit protein biosynthesis.
1. Jeon, C.J., et al. 1993. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 41: 1651-1658. PMID: 8409373
2. Wong, S.S., et al. 1994. Biochem. Pharmacol. 47: 827-837. PMID: 7510966
3. Chatterjee, S., et al. 2001. Ann. Neurol. 49: 345-354. PMID: 11261509
4. Mir, M.A., et al. 2003. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 11: 2791-2801. PMID: 12788353
5. Hoyos, P., et al. 2010. Acc. Chem. Res. 43: 288-299. PMID: 19908854
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2020 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.