α-Linolenic Acid (ALA), an 18 carbon polyunsaturated essential fatty acid, has been found to exert in vitro anti-inflammatory effects in murine intestine. Mechanistic studies suggest that this compound decreases TNFα (tumor necrosis factor-α) secretion levels as well as NF-κB activation. Additionally, ALA has been noted to be a reactive oxygen species scavenger that temporarily improves cell proliferation. Further experiments report that an increase in ALA levels seems to be correlated inversely with plasma IL-6 (interleukin-6) soluble receptor levels.
1. Dai, J., et al. 2010. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 92: 177-185. PMID: 20463041
2. Couëdelo, L., et al. 2010. Br. J. Nutr. 1-10. PMID: 21080982
3. Geleijnse, J.M., et al. 2010. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 12: 359-367. PMID: 20814766
4. Hassan, A., et al. 2010. J. Nutr. 140: 1714-1721. PMID: 20724486
5. Hennessy, A.A., et al. 2010. Lipids. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 21161605
6. Steinritz, D., et al. 2010. Toxicol. Sci. 118: 521-529. PMID: 20833707
See how others have used alpha-Linolenic Acid (CAS 463-40-1). Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 28973946 Lopez, MS. et al. 2017. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 114: 11223-11228.
PMID: # 26681780 J Lipid Res. 207-18.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2021 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.