Ethidium bromide is commonly used as a nucleic acid stain for PAGE or agarose gel electrophoresis. The fluorescence of Ethidium Bromide increases 21-fold upon binding to double-stranded RNA and 25-fold on binding double-stranded DNA so that destaining the background is not necessary with a low stain concentration (10 μg/ml). Because of the binding to DNA, Ethidium Bromide is a powerful inhibitor of DNA polymerase. Ethidium Bromide has also been used in conjunction with acridine orange to differentiate between viable, apoptotic and necrotic cells. For staining a gel after electrophoresis, dilute a sample of the stock solution to 0.5 μg/ml with water and incubate the gel for 15-30 min. Destaining is usually not needed but can be carried out in water for 15 min if decreased background is necessary. The DNA bands can then be detected on a UV light box (254 nm wavelength). Ethidium bromide can also be incorporated into the gel and running buffer at 0.5 μg/ml and visualized immediately after electrophoresis.
1. Elliott, W.H. 1963. Biochem. J. 86: 562-567. PMID: 16748992
2. LePecq, J.B. and Paoletti, C. 1967. J. Mol. Biol. 27: 87-106. PMID: 6033613
3. Douthart, R.J., et al. 1973. Biochemistry. 12: 214-220. PMID: 4630220
4. El Hamalawi, A.R., et al. 1975. Anal. Biochem. 67: 384-391. PMID: 1163763
5. Karsten, U. and Wollenberger, A. 1977. Anal. Biochem. 77: 464-470. PMID: 842829
6. Laine, B., et al. 1984. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 119: 1147-1153. PMID: 6370250
7. Moore, S.P. and Sutherland, B.M. 1985. Anal. Biochem. 144: 15-19. PMID: 2858989
8. Scaria, P.V. and Shafer, R.H. 1991. J. Biol. Chem. 266: 5417-5423. PMID: 2005088
See how others have used Ethidium Bromide Solution (CAS 1239-45-8). Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 28927098 Zhuang, Z. et al. 2017. Oncol Lett. 14: 3437-3444.
PMID: # 26276565 Pandurangan, M. et al. 2016. Biol Trace Elem Res. 170: 309-19.
PMID: # 26985734 Pandurangan, M. et al. 2016. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B, Biol. 158: 206-11.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2020 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.