α-BUNGAROTOXIN binds nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and has been used to isolate and study them. It blocks neuromuscular transmission by irreversible binding to motor end-plate acetylcholine receptor but does not depress acetylcholine release from motor nerve endings. α-Bungarotoxin (α-BuTx) has been shown to bind mainly to sequences around the two cysteines at positions 192 and 193 of the AChR α-subunit of most species. It blocks nicotine-induced increase of intracellular Ca2+ in PC12 cells, and prevents opening of nicotinic receptor-associated ion channels. Reconstitution experiments in Xenopus oocytes have shown the effects of α-bungarotoxin on neuronal AChR to be highly specific for the α7-subtype, but not for the α3β4 subtype. α-BUNGAROTOXIN is an inhibitor of AChR α7.
1. Ruan, K.H., et al. 1990. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 87: 6156-6160. PMID: 2385590
2. Lin, S.R., et al. 1992. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1159: 255-261. PMID: 1390930
3. Sorenson, E.M., et al. 1992. J. Comp. Neurol. 323: 1-12. PMID: 1430311
4. Motomura, M., et al. 1992. Neurosci. Lett. 143: 139-142. PMID: 1436658
5. Zhang, Z.W., et al. 1994. Neuron. 12: 167-177. PMID: 7507338
6. Vincent, A., et al. 1998. Neurochem. Int. 32: 427-433. PMID: 9676741
7. López, M.G., et al. 1998. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 95: 14184-14189. PMID: 9826675
See how others have used alpha-Bungarotoxin (CAS 11032-79-4). Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 29215705 2018. J. Cell. Physiol. 233: 4972-4980.
PMID: # 26700614 Javed, H. et al. 2016. Mol. Ther. 24: 746-58.
PMID: # 8846777 Zhu, X. et al. 1995. EMBO J. 14: 5842-5848.
Orr-Urtreger, A et al.
Frazier, C et al.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2020 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.