Sodium phosphate tribasic dodecahydrate is also known as trisodium phospate or TSP. It is highly soluble in water and widely used as a cleaning agent. The pH of a 1% solution is typically around 12, making this reagent sufficiently alkaline for saponification of grease and oils. Often used in the formulation of various buffers; complementary buffer components may include: Sodium phosphate monobasic (sc-215883; sc-251042), Sodium phosphate dibasic (sc-203277; sc-236917) or Potassium Phosphate, Dibasic (sc-203210). Trisodium phosphate is used in the isolation of mycobacteria, including culturing of tubercle bacilli. Has been used as a protein precipitant in certain applications and in co-precipitation and fractionization of nucleotides. May be used for the preservation of biologically active soil samples. Because of the alkaline pH, TSP disrupts cytoplasmic and outer membranes of Salmonella enterica cells making it useful in preventing the spread of bacteria.
Anhydrous form also available: Trisodium phosphate (sc-251041).
1. Armstrong, A.R. 1948. Can Med Assoc J. 59: 73. PMID: 18864250
2. Martin, M.E., et al. 1968. Appl Microbiol. 16: 506-508. PMID: 4967759
3. Chan, P.S. and Lin, M.C. 1974. Meth. Enzymol. 38: 38-41. PMID: 4375771
4. MacGregor, C.H. 1978. Meth. Enzymol. 53: 347-355. PMID: 362126
5. Sampathkumar, B., et al. 2003. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 69: 122-129. PMID: 12513986
6. Rosell, M., et al. 2006. J Chromatogr A. 1132: 28-38. PMID: 16904119
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2020 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.