Zeaxanthin, a dihydroxy carotenoid, has been shown to contain antioxidant characteristics. Experiments report this chemical to be one of the predominant carotenoids of the macular pigment in eyes. The macular pigment contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant characteristics that are due to carotenoids such as zeaxanthin. Further studies note that zeaxanthin contains scavenging capacity for the superoxide anion radical O2-, hydroxyl radical HO-, and H2O2.
1. Landrum, J.T., et al. 2001. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 385: 28-40. PMID: 11361022
2. Bone, R.A., et al. 2003. J. Nutr. 133: 992-998. PMID: 12672909
3. Nakajima, Y., et al. 2009. Curr. Eye Res. 34: 311-318. PMID: 19373580
4. Betterle, N., et al. 2010. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 504: 67-77. PMID: 20494647
5. Wu, N.L., et al. 2010. Exp. Dermatol. 19: e173-e181. PMID: 20482615
6. Schweigert, F.J., et al. 2010. Klin Monbl Augenheilkd. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 20740395
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2021 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.