Taurolidine is a broad spectrum antibiotic that was derived from the aminosulfoacid Taurine (sc-202354). Shown to be effective against aerobic, anaerobic, gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria as well as fungi and mycobacterium. Found to exhibit antitumor activity with low toxicity, antiangiogenic effects, antiendotoxin activity, and to induce apoptosis of tumor cells; thereby decreasing proliferation of the tumor cells (both in vitro and in vivo). Has been used in studies of alternative chemotherapeutics, and is shown to work synergistically with rhTRAIL (sc-4547) doubling the effects of Taurolidine alone. The synergistic response of Taurolidine and TRAIL may outline a new therapeutic strategy in oncology therapy.
1. Watson, R.W., et al. 1995. J. Leukoc. Biol. 58: 299-306. PMID: 7665985
2. McCourt, M., et al. 2000. Ann. Surg. Oncol. 7: 685-691. PMID: 11034247
3. Calabresi, P., et al. 2001. Cancer Res. 61: 6816-6821. PMID: 11559556
4. Stendel, R., et al. 2009. Autophagy. 5: 194-210. PMID: 19066471
5. Jacobi, C.A., et al. 2005. Anticancer Drugs. 16: 917-921. PMID: 16162968
6. Bradshaw, J.H., et al. 2008. J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 47: 179-186. PMID: 18664870
7. Daigeler, A., et al. 2008. Int. J. Oncol. 32: 1205-1220. PMID: 18497982
8. Chromik, A.M., et al. 2007. J Invest Surg. 20: 339-348. PMID: 18097875
See how others have used Taurolidine. Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 25234575
Rimann, M. et al. 2014. An in vitro osteosarcoma 3D microtissue model for drug development. Journal of biotechnology. 189: 129-35.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2017 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.