(±)-S-Nitroso-N-acetylpenicillamine (SNAP) is a NO donor and cysteine protease inhibitor. The unique NO releasing properties of SNAP make it an ideal agent for studying the pharmacological and physiological actions of NO since it is a potent vasodilator in vitro that does not induce pharmacological tolerance. Research shows that SNAP dose-dependently inhibits serum-induced thymidine incorporation in rat aortic smooth muscle cells, activates GCS (soluble guanylyl cyclase) and relaxes isolated bovine coronary artery rings (EC50=0.13 μM). SNAP has also been shown to inhibit vascular smooth muscle cell mitogenesis and proliferation, as well as leukocyte adherence to the endothelium.
1. Hogg, N., et al., 1992. Production of hydroxyl radicals from the simultaneous generation of superoxide and nitric oxide. The Biochemical journal. 281 ( Pt 2)(): 419-24. PMID: 1310595
2. Shaffer, J E., et al., 1992. Lack of tolerance to a 24-hour infusion of S-nitroso N-acetylpenicillamine (SNAP) in conscious rabbits. The Journal of pharmacology and experimental therapeutics. 260(1): 286-93. PMID: 1731043
3. Garg, U C., et al., 1989. Nitric oxide-generating vasodilators and 8-bromo-cyclic guanosine monophosphate inhibit mitogenesis and proliferation of cultured rat vascular smooth muscle cells. The Journal of clinical investigation. 83(5): 1774-7. PMID: 2540223
4. Henry, P J., et al., 1989. Nitroglycerin-induced tolerance affects multiple sites in the organic nitrate bioconversion cascade. The Journal of pharmacology and experimental therapeutics. 248(2): 762-8. PMID: 2563771
5. Kowaluk, E A., et al., 1987. Tolerance to relaxation in rat aorta: comparison of an S-nitrosothiol with nitroglycerin. European journal of pharmacology. 144(3): 379-83. PMID: 3126076
6. Ascenzi, P., et al., 2001. Inhibition of cysteine protease activity by NO-donors. Current protein & peptide science. 2(2): 137-53. PMID: 12370021
See how others have used (+/-)-S-Nitroso-N-acetylpenicillamine. Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 26980442 Ding, Y. et al. 2016. Science signaling. 9: ra29.
PMID: # 27064847 Guerra, D. et al. 2016. Biochemistry. 55: 2452-64.
PMID: # 25326127 2015. Circ. Res. 116: 46-55.
PMID: # 24626957 Swain, L. et al. 2014. Journal of leukocyte biology. 96: 365-75.
PMID: # 10188974 Megson, IL. et al. 1999. Br. J. Pharmacol. 126: 639-648.
PMID: # 8612040 Askew, SC. et al. 1995. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 3: 1-9.
PMID: # 7524991 Salas, E. et al. 1994. Br. J. Pharmacol. 112: 1071-1076.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.