Penicillin G procaine is a combination of penicillin G and procaine. Penicillin G is a hydrophobic, β-lactam antibiotic produced by Penicillium spp.. As an antibiotic, penicillin G is noted to posses effectiveness mainly against gram-positive organisms. Some gram-negative organisms such as Neiserria gonorrhoeae and Neiserria meningitidis are also reported to be susceptible to penicillin G. Penicillin G is also known as benzylpenicillin and contains a 6′ phenylacetyl side chain. In acid aqueous solutions, penicillin is reported to decompose into penillic acid and penilloic acid.
Procaine is a noted sodium channel blocker with a variety of inhibitory effects. In skeletal muscle, procaine has been reported to inhibit calcium-induced calcium release (CICR). Procaine is also noted to act as a DNA methylation inhibitor and to cause demethylation and reactivation of methylation-silenced genes such as RARβ and GSTP1. WIF-1 is noted to be reactivated in a cancer cell line and to downregulate the Wnt canonical pathway. In studies utilizing a neuroblastoma cell line (SHEP), procaine is reported to induce neuronal apoptosis in a manner correlated with lipid solubility of the compound. In an adult mouse muscle cell line (HEK293), the presence of procaine is reported to potently inhibit AChR (nicotinic acetylcholine receptors).
Penicillin G is also available alone (sc-344973) and in salt forms such as Penicillin G sodium (sc-257971) and penicillin G potassium (sc-255411). Procaine is available alone (sc-296134) and in its salt form, procaine HCl (sc-250776).
1. Schwartz, M.A. 1965. J Pharm Sci. 54: 472-473. PMID: 14301592
2. Demain, A.L. 1991. Proc. Natl. Sci. Counc. Repub. China B. 15: 251-265. PMID: 1815263
3. Werdehausen, R., et al. 2009. Br J Anaesth. 103: 711-718. PMID: 19700777
4. Livermore, D.M. 2009. Curr. Protein Pept. Sci. 10: 397-400. PMID: 19538149
5. Gao, Z., et al. 2009. Oncol. Rep. 22: 1479-1484. PMID: 19885602
6. Endo, M. 2009. Physiol. Rev. 89: 1153-1176. PMID: 19789379
7. Wang, H., et al. 2010. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 630: 29-33. PMID: 20045405
8. Gal, R. and Libersat, F. 2010. PLoS ONE. 5: e10019. PMID: 20383324
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.