Netropsin dihydrochloride is a DNA minor groove binding ligand with potential antibiotic and antiviral properties as a result. As a DNA binding ligand, Netropsin is observed to have a strong preference for the AT-rich region in dsDNA where it acts as a binding ligand to nucleic acid. It is reported that when Netropsin binds to dsDNA at specific base sequences, that it has the ability to block DNA helicase, Topo (topoisomerase), endonuclease and to also interfere with transcription factor binding in these regions. Netropsin has been noted to potentially have radioprotective ability against radiation-induced damage in an aqueous solution of plasmid DNA exposed to ionizing radiation. As an antibiotic, Netropsin has been noted to bind to dsDNA in a non-intercalative manner.
1. Ren, J. and Chaires, J.B. 1999. Biochemistry. 38: 16067-16075. PMID: 10587429
2. Bielawski, K., et al. 2000. Acta Biochim. Pol. 47: 855-866. PMID: 11310985
3. Reddy, B.S., et al. 2001. Curr. Med. Chem. 8: 475-508. PMID: 11281837
4. Grant, M.A., et al. 2009. Biochem. J. 418: 103-112. PMID: 18937643
5. Mishra, K., et al. 2009. Radiat. Res. 172: 698-705. PMID: 19929416
6. Premvardhan, L., et al. 2010. Eur. Biophys. J. 39: 781-787. PMID: 19859703
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.