n-Octyl-β-D-glucopyranoside is a non–ionic detergent intended for solubilizing membrane–bound proteins in their native state and for the preparation of lipid vesicles. Its well–defined chemical structure, small uniform micelles, and high water solubility make it superior to most other nonionic detergents for membrane solubilization. Because of its high critical micelle concentration (20-25 mM), n-Octyl-β-D-glucopyranoside has the additional advantage of being removed easily by dialysis when compared to bile salts.
1. Lévy, D., et al., 1992. Reconstitution of the sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca(2+)-ATPase: mechanisms of membrane protein insertion into liposomes during reconstitution procedures involving the use of detergents. Biochimica et biophysica acta. 1107(2): 283-98. PMID: 1387003
2. Hoshino, T., et al., 1992. Solubilization and reconstitution of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa high affinity branched-chain amino acid transport system. The Journal of biological chemistry. 267(30): 21313-8. PMID: 1400443
3. Nunn, R S., et al., 1992. Purification and crystallization of the light harvesting LH1 complex from Rhodobacter sphaeroides. Journal of molecular biology. 228(4): 1259-62. PMID: 1474590
4. Lorber, B., et al., 1990. Purification of octyl beta-D-glucopyranoside and re-estimation of its micellar size. Biochimica et biophysica acta. 1023(2): 254-65. PMID: 2328249
5. Jopski, B., et al., 1989. Preparation of hemoglobin-containing liposomes using octyl glucoside and octyltetraoxyethylene. Biochimica et biophysica acta. 978(1): 79-84. PMID: 2914131
6. Gould, R J., et al., 1981. Effects of octyl beta-glucoside on insulin binding to solubilized membrane receptors. Biochemistry. 20(24): 6776-81. PMID: 7032581
7. Camm, E L., et al., 1981. Widespread distribution of some minor chlorophyll-protein complexes in some plants and algae. Plant physiology. 67(5): 1061-3. PMID: 16661784
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.