Ilimaquinone is a natural marine metabolite shown to have antiinflammatory, antimicrobial, and antimitotic properties. Ilimaquinone has also been described to block diptheria toxin and the cytotoxicity of ricin. Golgi membrane studies reveal that exposure to ilimaquinone results in the formation of vesiculated Golgi membranes and blockage of the secretory pathway, which can be reversed with the removal of ilimaquinone. Additionally, ilimaquinone has been shown to block the association of the ADP-ribosylation factor (ARF) and β-COP to the Golgi membrane, and depolarize cytoplasmic microtubules. Further studies report that the vesiculation of Golgi membranes through Ilimaquinone takes place by the activation of heterotrimeric G proteins. Biochemical assays from HIV studies suggest that ilimaquinone belongs to a group of marine metabolites with anti-HIV activity. Ilimaquinone studies suggest that it has the ability to induce anti-proliferative affects through GADD153-mediated pathway modifications.
1. Takizawa, P.A., et al. 1993. Cell. 73: 1079-1090. PMID: 8513494
2. Veit, B., et al. 1993. J. Cell Biol. 122: 1197-1206. PMID: 8104190
3. Jamora, C., et al. 1997. Cell. 91: 617-626. PMID: 9393855
4. Dinter, A., et al. 1998. Histochem. Cell Biol. 109: 571-590. PMID: 9681636
5. Radeke, H.S., et al. 1999. Chem. Biol. 6: 639-647. PMID: 10467129
6. Tziveleka, L.A., et al. 2003. Curr Top Med Chem. 3: 1512-1535. PMID: 14529524
7. Lu, P.H., et al. 2007. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 556: 45-54. PMID: 17140562
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.