Gramicidin A is a naturally occurring antibiotic that acts as an ion channel-forming pentadecapeptide. Bacillus brevis produces Gramicidin and is an effective antibiotic against gram-positive organisms. Gramicidin can be used to study membrane channels because of its cation-selective, single-filing pore and has been used as a model to study ion channel proteins, and acylation of membrane proteins. The Gramicidin A channel has demonstrated to be permeable to small monovalent cations, protons, and water but impermeable to divalent cations and anions.
1. Dubos, R.J. and Hotchkiss, R.D. 1941. J. Exp. Med. 73: 629-640. PMID: 19871101
2. Stankovic, C.J., et al. 1990. Anal. Biochem. 184: 100-103. PMID: 1690956
3. Seoh, S.A. and Busath, D. 1993. Biophys. J. 64: 1017-1028. PMID: 7684267
4. Koeppe, R.E., et al. 1995. Biochemistry. 34: 9299-9306. PMID: 7542918
5. Prabhananda, B.S., et al. 1996. Biophys. J. 71: 3091-3097. PMID: 8968580
See how others have used Gramicidin A. Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 7684267 Seoh, SA. et al. 1993. Biophys. J. 64: 1017-1028.
PMID: # 19871101 Dubos, RJ. et al. 1941. J. Exp. Med. 73: 629-640.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.