Gilvocarcin V is the major analogue of a complex of C-glycoside antitumor actives isolated from a Streptomyces sp. Gilvocarcin V contains a vinyl group in the 8-position and is the most potent analogue of the complex. It is thought to act as an inhibitor of the catalytic activity of human topoisomerase II. The metabolite displays potent antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and antitumor activity. Recent research on the gilvocarcins suggests that they act as photoactivated crosslinkers of DNA to histones. Gilvocarcin V has also been shown to be cytotoxic against Gram-positive bacteria. Mediates a unique cross-linking reaction between DNA and histidine H3. And is shown to be weakly active against Gram-negative bacteria, fungi and tumors. Also an antineoplastic and a photosensitizing compound.
1. Balitz, D.M., et al. 1981. J. Antibiot. 34: 1544-1555. PMID: 7344705
2. Nakano, H., et al. 1981. J. Antibiot. 34: 266-270. PMID: 7275807
3. Elespuru, R.K., et al. 1984. Science. 223: 69-71. PMID: 6229029
4. Peak, M.J., et al. 1988. Chem. Biol. Interact. 67: 267-274. PMID: 3191537
5. Lorico, A., et al. 1993. Eur. J. Cancer. 29A: 1985-1991. PMID: 8280493
6. Matsumoto, A., et al. 1994. Photochem. Photobiol. 60: 225-230. PMID: 7972373
7. Oyola, R., et al. 1997. Photochem. Photobiol. 65: 802-810. PMID: 9155255
8. Matsumoto, A., et al. 2000. Cancer Res. 60: 3921-3926. PMID: 10919670
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.