Gilvocarcin M is the minor analogue of a complex of C-glycoside antitumor actives isolated from Streptomyces. Gilvocarcin M contains a methyl group in the 8-position and is less active than the vinyl analogue Gilvocarcin V (sc-202170), which is thought to act as an inhibitor of human topoisomerase II. Gilvocarcin M displays potent antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and antitumor activity. Recent research on the gilvocarcins suggests that they act as photoactivated crosslinkers of DNA to histones.
1. Nakano, H., et al. 1981. J. Antibiot. 34: 266-270. PMID: 7275807
2. Elespuru, R.K., et al. 1984. Science. 223: 69-71. PMID: 6229029
3. Oyola, R., et al. 1997. Photochem. Photobiol. 65: 802-810. PMID: 9155255
4. Balitz, D.M., et al. 1981. J. Antibiot. 34: 1544-1555. PMID: 7344705
5. Matsumoto, A., et al. 2000. Cancer Res. 60: 3921-3926. PMID: 10919670
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.