Fumonisin B1 is a fungal metabolite produced by Fusarium moniliforme, that has been shown to inhibit protein serine/threonine phosphatases (PP1, PP2A, PP2B, PP2C, and PP5/T/K/H), and is most effective with PP5. It has been shown to stimulate the activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase. Fumonisin B1 has been observed to inhibit sphingolipid biosynthesis, preferentially inhibiting sphingomyelin biosynthesis versus glycosphingolipids in neuronal cells. In primary rat liver cells, fumonisin B1 blocked biosynthesis of de novo sphingolipids through LASS (ceramide synthase) inhibition. Caspase-3 activated or DNA fragmented apoptosis induced by fumonisin B1 binding to a TNF receptor has been documented in many human and rat cell lines. Fumonisin B1 has displayed immunotoxic effects by increasing expression of IL-1β, TNFα, IFN-γ; (interferon γ), IL-1α, IL-6, IL-10, IL-18 and IL-12 in varying mouse cells. Immunotoxicity of fumonisin B1 in human dendritic cells has been demonstrated through expression of chemokine CXCL9 and IFN-γ. Further, fumonisin B1 is an activator of Akt.
1. Merrill, A H., et al., 1993. Fumonisin B1 inhibits sphingosine (sphinganine) N-acyltransferase and de novo sphingolipid biosynthesis in cultured neurons in situ. The Journal of biological chemistry. 268(36): 27299-306. PMID: 8262970
2. Fukuda, H., et al., 1996. Inhibition of protein serine/threonine phosphatases by fumonisin B1, a mycotoxin. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 220(1): 160-5. PMID: 8602837
3. Wattenberg, E V., et al., 1996. Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase by the carcinogenic mycotoxin fumonisin B1. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 227(2): 622-7. PMID: 8878562
4. Merrill, A H., et al., 1996. Fumonisins: fungal toxins that shed light on sphingolipid function. Trends in cell biology. 6(6): 218-23. PMID: 15157459
5. Tripathy, Sandeep K., et al., 2008. Continuous engagement of a self-specific activation receptor induces NK cell tolerance. The Journal of experimental medicine. 205(8): 1829-41. PMID: 18606857
6. Stockmann-Juvala, H., et al., 2008. A review of the toxic effects and mechanisms of action of fumonisin B1. Human & experimental toxicology. 27(11): 799-809. PMID: 19244287
See how others have used Fumonisin B1. Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 28645851 Tóth, EA. et al. 2017. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1862: 991-1000.
PMID: # 28220271 Almada, M. et al. 2017. Apoptosis. 22: 816-826.
PMID: # 28697598 Zheng, K. et al. 2017. J. Agric. Food Chem. 65: 6625-6637.
PMID: # 28123341 Huang, S. et al. 2017. Int. J. Biol. Sci. 13: 1-12.
PMID: # 25623391 Clarke, R. et al. 2015. Toxicol. Lett. 233: 278-86.
PMID: # 26503955 Bhat, NM. et al. 2015. J. Immunol. 195: 5178-88.
PMID: # 25110174 Clarke, R. et al. 2014. Toxicon. 90: 70-81.
PMID: # 11053253 Blázquez, C. et al. 2000. FASEB J. 14: 2315-2322.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.