Filipin III is a pentaene macrolide antibiotic and the predominant isomer of four isomeric polyene macrolides isolated from cultures of S. filipinensis. Due to Filipin III's ability to fluoresce and bind to cholesterol, the compound has been used to detect cholesterol in membranes through freeze fracture electron microscopy and through decreased fluorescence of Filipin III upon binding. The compound has also been used in tobacco cells and observed to activate ligand-independent signaling responses. Through Filipin III's cholesterol sequestering activity, the compound was able to disrupt the lipid rafts in both normal and transformed keratinocytes resulting in inhibition of the AKT pathway.
1. Severs, N.J., et al. 1983. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 737: 373-408. PMID: 6349687
2. Miller, R.G. 1984. Cell Biol. Int. Rep. 8: 519-535. PMID: 6378397
3. Castanho, M.A., et al. 1992. J. Biol. Chem. 267: 204-209. PMID: 1730589
4. Bonneau, L., et al. 2010. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1798: 2150-2159. PMID: 20674542
5. Calay, D., et al. 2010. J. Invest. Dermatol. 130: 1136-1145. PMID: 20054340
See how others have used Filipin III. Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 28223798 Gao, W. et al. 2017. Int J Nanomedicine. 12: 1047-1064.
PMID: # 26156035 Guo, T. et al. 2015. J Nanobiotechnology. 13: 47.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.