DMSA (Meso-2,3-dimercaptosuccinic acid) is a potent lead chelating agent found to be a scavenger of reactive oxygen species (ROS). Murine experiments have shown that this compound also lowers blood pressure in rat arterial hypertension via a decrease in total cell calcium levels. It has also been observed that DMSA upregulates mRNA expression of macrophage-1 antigen, L-, E-, and P-selectin, as well as causing an increase in TNFα (tumor necrosis factor-α) concentrations in murine lung. Mechanistic studies suggest that DMSA is metabolized into mixed disulfides of cysteine, which are active chelating agents.
1. Vineeta, N., et al. 2001. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 19: 160-163. PMID: 12396095
2. Kramer, H.J., et al. 2003. Biochem. Pharmacol. 65: 1741-1746. PMID: 12754110
3. Bradberry, S., et al. 2009. Clin Toxicol. 47: 617-631. PMID: 19663612
4. Bradberry, S., et al. 2009. QJM. 102: 721-732. PMID: 19700440
5. Azevedo, R.B., et al. 2011. Cell Adh Migr. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 20935452
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.