Clodronate, Disodium Salt is a first-generation bisphosphonate which are synthetic compounds characterized by a P-C-P bond. Experiments have shown that the P-C-P bond of the bisphosphonates is completely resistant to enzymatic hydrolysis. This compound has been reported to inhibit bone resorption and can be metabolized intracellularly to a β,γ-methylene analog of ATP, which in vitro is cytotoxic to macrophages. Additionally, Clodronate demonstrates the ability to cause a collapse of the mitochondrial membrane potential which eventually results in osteoclast apoptosis.
1. Fleisch, H.A. 1997. Ann. Med. 29: 55-62. PMID: 9073324
2. Lipton, A. 1997. Cancer. 80: 1668-1673. PMID: 9362434
3. Virtanen, S.S., et al. 2002. Cancer Res. 62: 2708-2714. PMID: 11980672
4. Lehenkari, P.P., et al. 2002. Mol. Pharmacol. 61: 1255-1262. PMID: 11961144
5. Traeger, T., et al. 2010. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 22: 1039-1049. PMID: 20300005
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.