Clioquinol is a member of the hydroxyquinoline family which inhibits certain enzymes related to DNA replication. Clioquinol is a metal chelating ligand which displays protective effects in various neurodegenerative states as well as being a component in antifungal and antiprotozoal agents. It has been shown to modulate amyloid beta-peptide accumulation via upregulation of metalloprotease activity. When co-administered with vitamin B12 (sc-296695), Clioquinol rescues lead-induced impairments of synaptic plasticity in an animal models. In recent animal studies Clioquinol has shown to reverse the progression of Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and Huntington's diseases. Clioquinol has been observed to induce apoptosis in human cancer cell lines by generating free zinc in lysosomes.
1. Rohde, W., et al. 1976. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 10: 234-240. PMID: 185949
2. Nguyen, T., et al. 2005. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 102: 11840-11845. PMID: 16087879
3. White, A.R. 2006. J. Biol. Chem. 281: 17670-17680. PMID: 16648635
4. Caragounis, A., et al. 2007. Biochem. J. 407: 435-450. PMID: 17680773
5. Chen, W.H., et al. 2007. Neuroscience. 147: 853-864. PMID: 17555879
6. Adlard, P.A., et al. 2008. Neuron. 59: 43-55. PMID: 18614028
7. Yu, H., et al. 2009. Biochem. J. 417: 133-139. PMID: 18764784
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.