Agar, often referred to as agar-agar is used as a solid substrate for inclusion in culture media, gel preparation, and microbiological work. With the addition of nutritional or selection supplements, it is often used as a growth medium for bacteria and fungi. Agar is an excellent matrix for work with proteins and nucleic acids, being ideally suited for the separation of large molecules. Widely used for immunodiffusion and chromatography applications. Porous, agarose gel in varying concentrations is used as a medium for assessing the motility and mobility of microorganisms; and may also be used in the evalution of chemotaxis and chemokinesis with regard to a cell population's movement toward a chemoattractant.
1. Akiyama, K. and Kimura, H. 1990. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1040: 206-210. PMID: 2400772
2. Belin, P., et al. 2004. Protein Eng. Des. Sel. 17: 491-500. PMID: 15252207
3. Lee, M.H., et al. 2009. Cancer Res. 69: 7449-7458. PMID: 19738051
4. Thériault, C., et al. 2011. Gynecol Oncol. PMID: 21421261
5. Berthier, A., et al. 2011. Hum. Pathol. 42: 75-87. PMID: 20971498
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.