Tranylcypromine is an irreversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidase (MAO), and an inhibitor of CYP2A6 (Ki= 0.08 μM) and histone demethylase BHC110/LSD1. The inhibitor targets MAO-A and MAO-B and has been used as a chemical scaffold to design new demethylase inhibitors. Studies suggest that tranylcypromine can increase both brain trace amines and GABA(B)-receptors, and regulate phospholipid metabolism. Tranylcypromine has been shown to increase Histone H3 lysine 4 (H3K4) methylation and transcriptional derepression of Egr1 and Oct4 in P19 embryonal carcinoma cells (sc-24760). Studies indicate that it is an effective inhibitor of histone demethylation and can antagonize the effects of phenylephrine.
1. Hayashi, M., et al., 1983. Different mode of action between norepinephrine and phenylephrine on prostaglandin synthesis by dog renal inner medullary slices. Japanese journal of pharmacology. 33(3): 563-71. PMID: 6312148
2. Zhang, W., et al., 2001. Evaluation of methoxsalen, tranylcypromine, and tryptamine as specific and selective CYP2A6 inhibitors in vitro. Drug metabolism and disposition: the biological fate of chemicals. 29(6): 897-902. PMID: 11353760
3. Lee, Min Gyu., et al., 2006. Histone H3 lysine 4 demethylation is a target of nonselective antidepressive medications. Chemistry & biology. 13(6): 563-7. PMID: 16793513
4. Frieling, Helge., et al., 2006. Tranylcypromine: new perspectives on an "old" drug. European archives of psychiatry and clinical neuroscience. 256(5): 268-73. PMID: 16927039
5. Lundquist, Pinelopi., et al., 2007. Effect on [11C]DASB binding after tranylcypromine-induced increase in serotonin concentration: positron emission tomography studies in monkeys and rats. Synapse (New York, N.Y.). 61(6): 440-9. PMID: 17372973
6. Binda, Claudia., et al., 2010. Biochemical, structural, and biological evaluation of tranylcypromine derivatives as inhibitors of histone demethylases LSD1 and LSD2. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 132(19): 6827-33. PMID: 20415477
See how others have used Tranylcypromine (CAS 13492-01-8). Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 25103574 Liu, D. et al. 2014. Genes Nutr. 9: 422.
PMID: # 22534778 Piao, JY. et al. 2012. Analyst. 137: 2669-73.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2020 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.