Swinholide A, Theonella swinhoei is a membrane permeable marine cytotoxic macrolide that acts as a specific inhibitor of actin filaments and disrupts the actin-cytoskeleton. The symmetric macrolide, isolated from Theonella swinhoei has a binding site for two actins and is described to have anti-fungal properties. Studies indicate that Swinholide A diminishes the rate of nucleotide exchange in G-actin and when bound to actin does not interact with myosin. In the presence of Swinholide A, cells have been reported to decrease actin filaments, which results in the formation and stabilization of actin dimers.
1. Kobayashi, M., et al. 1994. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 42: 19-26. PMID: 8124763
2. Bubb, M.R., et al. 1995. J. Biol. Chem. 270: 3463-3466. PMID: 7876075
3. Bewley, C.A., et al. 1996. Experientia. 52: 716-722. PMID: 8698116
4. Lyubimova, A., et al. 1997. J. Cell. Biochem. 65: 469-478. PMID: 9178097
5. Saito, S.Y., et al. 1998. J. Biochem. 123: 571-578. PMID: 9538245
6. Klenchin, V.A., et al. 2005. Chem. Biol. 12: 287-291. PMID: 15797212
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.