SEW2871 is a small molecule selective agonist of EDG-1 (Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 1; S1P1), a protein involved in signaling and regulation of heart rate, coronary artery caliber, and lymphocyte recirculation. SEW2871 has been used as a tool for investigating the role of the EDG-1 receptor in cardiovascular regulation, and specifically for its role in ischemia/reperfusion injury. An antiinflammatory behavior is produced by SEW2871 activation of the EDG-1 receptor, showing an inhibition of monocyte adhesion to endothelial cells upon this activation.
1. Kluk, M.J. and Hla, T. 2002. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1582: 72-80. PMID: 12069812
2. Sanna, M.G., et al. 2004. J. Biol. Chem. 279: 13839-13848. PMID: 14732717
3. Hale, J.J., et al. 2004. J. Med. Chem. 47: 6662-6665. PMID: 15615513
4. Bolick, D.T., et al. 2005. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 25: 976-981. PMID: 15761190
5. Whetzel, A.M., et al. 2006. Circ. Res. 99: 731-739. PMID: 16960101