Salicylic acid is a natural product extract from Willow bark, well known as an antiinflammatory and antinociceptive agent and a close structural relative to acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin). Salicylic acid is a ubiquitous plant hormone with many regulatory functions involved in local disease resistance mechanisms and systemic acquired resistance. The antiinflammatory and antinociceptive effects produced by Salicylic acid and its derivatives in animals are due to inhibition of COX-1 and COX-2 (cyclooxygenase) enzyme activity and suppression of prostaglandin biosynthesis. Salicylic acid is also of interest as a starting material for the organic synthesis of more elaborate COX suppressors and other chemical structures.
1. Delaney, T.P., et al. 1994. Science. 266: 1247-1250. PMID: 17810266
2. Steen, K.H., et al. 1996. Pain. 64: 71-82. PMID: 8867248
3. Mitchell, J.A., et al. 1997. Mol. Pharmacol. 51: 907-912. PMID: 9187256
4. Vane, J.R. and Botting, R.M. 1998. Am. J. Med. 104: 2S-21S. PMID: 9572314
5. Vlot, A.C., et al. 2009. Annu Rev Phytopathol. 47: 177-206. PMID: 19400653
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.