MES, Sodium Salt (2-(N-Morpholino)ethanesulfonic acid sodium salt) is a zwitterionic N-substituted aminosulfonic acid known as a Good's buffer, active in the pH range 6-8 with a pKa of 6.10 at 25° C. With a pKa value near physiological pH, it is not absorbed through cell membranes, and it is essentially transparent to UV light. MES is used as a running buffer for resolving very small proteins (ex: 13 kDa) on bis-tris gels. Also used in cation-exchange chromatography and as a biological buffer in plant cell cultures. MES solutions can be prepared to the desired pH by titrating the free acid with sodium hydroxide.
Also available: MES hydrate (sc-216094); MES hemisodium salt (sc-216093); MES solution (sc-300959).
1. Good, N.E., et al. 1966. Biochemistry. 5: 467-477. PMID: 5942950
2. Graf, H., et al. 1994. Bioseparation. 4: 7-20. PMID: 7764588
3. Anfossi, L., et al. 2003. Ann Chim. 93: 499-512. PMID: 12911143
4. Mönch, S., et al. 2010. Anal. Biochem. 398: 150-160. PMID: 19903444
5. Teste, B., et al. 2010. Talanta. 81: 1703-1710. PMID: 20441961
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.