LTB4 (Leukotriene B4) is a potent, eicosanoid lipid mediator that plays numerous roles in inflammation, immunological functions and maintenance of biological homeostasis. Leukotrienes primarily act through specific G protein-coupled receptors. LTB4 has been found in myeloid cells and is biosynthesized from arachidonic acid. It has been shown to stimulate leukocyte functions including chemokinesis, chemotaxis, lysosomal enzyme release, superoxide anion production, adhesion to endothelial cells, C3b receptor expression, CD11b up-regulation, generation of ROS, induction of the IL-2 receptor and IL-2 production. The chemokine has also been observed to enhance activation, proliferation and differentiation of human B-lymphocytes, T-lymphocytes, granulocytes, macrophages, monocytes, eosinophils, NK cells and to induce vascular permeability, hyperalgesia, and broncho-constriction. In the nervous system and the brain it is involved in the modulation of the ryanodine receptor and the activation of the capsaicin receptor. On the skin LTB4 is involved in melanocyte pigmentation. The compound has also been found to attenuate inflammation through binding of orphan receptor PPARα. LTB4 (Leukotriene B4) is an activator of P2Y7 and LTB4R2.
1. Goetzl, E.J. and Pickett, W.C. 1980. J. Immunol. 125: 1789-1791. PMID: 7410854
2. Ford-Hutchinson, A.W., et al. 1980. Nature. 286: 264-265. PMID: 6250050
3. Dahlén, S.E., et al. 1981. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 78: 3887-3891. PMID: 6267608
4. Serhan, C.N., et al. 1982. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 107: 1006-1012. PMID: 6291511
5. Nagy, L., et al. 1982. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 47: 541-547. PMID: 6282507
6. Showell, H.J., et al. 1982. J. Immunol. 128: 811-816. PMID: 6274960
7. Flechner, S.M., et al. 1986. Transplant. Proc. 18: 44-51. PMID: 3515693
8. Yamaoka, K.A., et al. 1989. J. Immunol. 143: 1996-2000. PMID: 2550549
9. Martin, H.A. 1990. Brain Res. 509: 273-279. PMID: 2157521
10. Lindström, P., et al. 1990. Scand. J. Immunol. 31: 737-744. PMID: 1972589
11. Yokomizo, T., et al. 2001. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 385: 231-241. PMID: 11368003
12. Funk, C.D. 2001. Science. 294: 1871-1875. PMID: 11729303
See how others have used LTB4 (Leukotriene B4). Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 27044800 Uehara, S. et al. 2016. Drug Metab. Dispos. 44: 833-41.
PMID: # 25573892 Torraca, V. et al. 2015. Dis Model Mech. 8: 253-69.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.