Isovelleral is an irritant fungal terpenoid that inhibits the TRPV1 (transient receptor potential vanilloid-1) channel. TRPV1 is a Capsaicin receptor that behaves as a non-selective cation channel that is mainly found in the sensory neurons, and specifically detects painful stimuli, low pH and heat. Research shows that out of twenty unsaturated sesquiterpene dialdehydes tested for cytotoxic and antimicrobial activity, Isovelleral was one of the most potent compounds. The compound has been shown to activate the ion channel, TRPA1, which is associated in the signaling of inflammatory pain. Isovelleral is an inhibitor of VR1 and an activator of ANKTM1.
1. Anke, H. and Sterner, O. 1999. Planta Med. 57: 344-346. PMID: 1775575
2. Jonassohn, M., et al. 1997. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 5: 1363-1367. PMID: 9377096
3. Ralevic, V., et al. 2003. Biochem. Pharmacol. 65: 143-151. PMID: 12473388
4. Escalera, J., et al. 2008. J. Biol. Chem. 283: 24136-24144. PMID: 18550530
5. Schumacher, M.A. and Eilers, H. 2010. Front. Biosci. 15: 872-882. PMID: 20515731
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.