Imiquimod is a derivative of imidazoquinolinamine that inhibits angiogenesis and is an immune response modifier. Studies have reported that Imiquimod has the ability to downregulate metastasis and induce alpha-interferon (IFN-α). Additionally, Imiquimod is a TLR7 (toll-like receptor 7) agonist which induces plasmacytoid dendritic cell (pDC) maturation. Imiquimod acts on dendritic cells expressing TLR7, and induces an immune response. Nuclear factor-B helps mediate the activity of Imiquimod, and is involved in increasing chemokine and cytokine levels. The antiangiogenic property of Imiquimod has been shown to be mediated by IL-18. Research shows that Imiquimod can induce apoptosis in cancer cells. Also suggested to be an activator of caspase-3 and NFκB.
1. Franconi, F., et al. 1992. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 315: 181-186. PMID: 1509937
2. Sidky, Y.A., et al. 1992. Cancer Res. 52: 3528-3533. PMID: 1377595
3. Gibson, S.J., et al. 2002. Cell. Immunol. 218: 74-86. PMID: 12470615
4. Schön, M., et al. 2003. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 95: 1138-1149. PMID: 12902443
5. Majewski, S., et al. 2005. Int. J. Dermatol. 44: 14-19. PMID: 15663652
6. Li, V.W., et al. 2005. J Drugs Dermatol. 4: 708-717. PMID: 16302556
See how others have used Imiquimod (CAS 99011-02-6). Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 26462419 Wu, V. et al. 2016. Mucosal immunology. 9: 777-86.
PMID: # 25767074 Li, ZJ. et al. 2015. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 459: 673-8.
PMID: # 24743316 Sohn, KC. et al. 2014. PloS one. 9: e95337.
PMID: # 31019063 J. Immunol. 202: 3161-3172.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2020 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.