γ-Linolenic acid, is an unsaturated fatty acid synthesized from linoleic acid (LA) by the enzyme delta-6-desaturase. Research on hepatocellular cell lines has shown γ-Linolenic Acid to have induced reactive oxygen species generation including lipid peroxidation, cell growth inhibition, and heme oxygenase-1 production for antioxidant protection against oxidative stress. Further experiments have noted that γ-Linolenic acid inhibits inflammatory responses through inactivation of NFκB and activator protein-1 by suppressed oxidative stress.
1. Fujiwara, F., et al. 1986. Prostaglandins Leukot Med. 23: 311-320. PMID: 3020590
2. van der Merwe, C.F., et al. 1990. Prostaglandins Leukot. Essent. Fatty Acids. 40: 199-202. PMID: 2169638
3. Ranieri, M., et al. 2009. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 22: 45-50. PMID: 19887043
4. Chang, C.S., et al. 2010. Inflammation. 33: 46-57. PMID: 19842026
5. Itoh, S., et al. 2010. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 47: 81-90. PMID: 20664735
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.