Docosahexaenoic Acid ethyl ester (DHA-EE) is an alternate form of Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and an ethyl ester derivative. DHA is an ω3 fatty acid involved in altering the physical properties of membranes and plays an important role in the development of the visual and nervous systems in mammals. Mouse erythrocyte fatty acid studies demonstrate that sn-2 docosahexaenyl monoacylglyceride elevates erythrocyte DHA and plasma levels in comparison to DHA-EE. Other mouse fatty acid studies show that DHA-EE increases 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase activity and does not replicate the affects of fish oil on hepatic fatty acid oxidation. DHA-EE has been used to study the dietary effects of learning in mice and in peroxisomal disorder studies.
1. Lim, S.Y. and Suzuki, H. 2000. J. Nutr. 130: 1629-1632. PMID: 10827221
2. Hong, D.D., et al. 2003. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1635: 29-36. PMID: 14642774
3. Valenzuela, A., et al. 2005. Ann. Nutr. Metab. 49: 49-53. PMID: 15735367
4. Wada, M., et al. 2007. J. Biol. Chem. 282: 22254-22266. PMID: 17519235
5. Hirunpanich, V., et al. 2008. Int J Pharm. 361: 251-252. PMID: 18577438
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2020 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.