Dexamethasone is an antiinflammatory glucocorticoid that induces the production of phospholipase A2 inhibitory protein (lipocortin). It also inhibits induction of nitric oxide synthase (IC50=5 nM). Dexamethasone has been shown to cause reduction in cyclin A and Cdk2 activity, inhibition of G1/S transition in osteoblasts and inhibition of phosphorylation of Rb protein in vitro. Dexamethasone has been observed to induce apoptosis in human thymocytes and eosinophils, but inhibits apoptosis in neutrophils in vitro. Dexamethasone is an activator of IDO.
1. Moncada, S., et al., 1991. Inhibition of the induction of nitric oxide synthase by glucocorticoids: yet another explanation for their anti-inflammatory effects? Trends in pharmacological sciences. 12(4): 130-1. PMID: 1712139
2. Clark, M A., et al., 1986. Differential effects of aspirin and dexamethasone on phospholipase A2 and C activities and arachidonic acid release from endothelial cells in response to bradykinin and leukotriene D4. Prostaglandins. 32(5): 703-8. PMID: 3103170
3. Fearnhead, H O., et al., 1994. Dexamethasone and etoposide induce apoptosis in rat thymocytes from different phases of the cell cycle. Biochemical pharmacology. 48(6): 1073-9. PMID: 7945400
4. Jaiswal, N., et al., 1997. Osteogenic differentiation of purified, culture-expanded human mesenchymal stem cells in vitro. Journal of cellular biochemistry. 64(2): 295-312. PMID: 9027589
5. Chauhan, D., et al., 2000. SHP2 mediates the protective effect of interleukin-6 against dexamethasone-induced apoptosis in multiple myeloma cells. The Journal of biological chemistry. 275(36): 27845-50. PMID: 10880513
See how others have used Dexamethasone. Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 29765489 Cheng, Y.|Li, X.|Tse, HF.|Rong, J.| et al. 2018. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2018: 1081287.
PMID: # 27632998 Tobin, SW. et al. 2016. J. Cell. Sci. 129: 4076-4090.
PMID: # 26329166 Ma, G. et al. 2015. Oncol. Rep. 34: 2423-30.
PMID: # 22261727 Rani, MP. et al. 2012. J. Sci. Food Agric. 92: 1948-55.
PMID: # 19727527 Xie, Y. et al. 2009. Acta Biochim. Biophys. Sin. (Shanghai). 41: 781-791.
PMID: # 19654206 Lee, DJ. et al. 2009. J. Exp. Bot. 60: 3935-3957.
PMID: # 19744340 Nehmé, A. et al. 2009. BMC Med Genomics. 2: epub.
PMID: # 19801529 Reddy, TE. et al. 2009. Genome Res. E-published.
PMID: # 19706599 Gayen, JR. et al. 2009. The Journal of biological chemistry. 284: 28498-509.
PMID: # 12506164 Weber, D. et al. 2003. J. Clin. Oncol. 21: 16-19.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.