CX-4945 (Silmitasertib) is an ATP-competitive CK2 protein kinase inhibitor with a Ki and an IC50 of 0.38 and 1 nM for recombinant human CK2α, respectively. CX-4945 has broad-spectrum anti-proliferative activity in multiple cancer cell lines. The anti-proliferative activity of CX-4945 against cancer cells correlated with expression levels of the CK2α catalytic subunit. Attenuation of PI3K/Akt signaling by CX-4945 was evidenced by dephosphorylation of Akt on the CK2-specific S129 site and the canonical S473 and T308 regulatory sites. CX-4945 suppresses Akt signaling and inhibits proliferation of HUVEC Cells. CX-4945 causes cell-cycle arrest and selectively induced apoptosis in certain cancer cells. In models of angiogenesis, CX-4945 inhibited human umbilical vein endothelial cell migration, tube formation, and blocked CK2-dependent hypoxia-induced factor 1 alpha (HIF-1α) transcription in cancer cells. Collectively, CX-4945 inhibits pro-angiogenic CK2 signaling in vitro and in vivo.
1. Pierre, F., Chua, P.C., O′Brien, S.E., et al.Discovery and SAR of 5-(3-chlorophenylamino)benzo[c][2,6]naphthyridine-8-carboxylic acid (CX-4945), the first clinical stage inhibitor of protein kinase CK2 for the treatment of cancer. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 54(2), 635-654 (2011).
2. Ferguson, A.D., Sheth, P.R., Basso, A.D., et al.Structural basis of CX-4945 binding to human protein kinase CK2. FEBS Letters 585(1), 104-110 (2011).
3. Siddiqui-Jain, A., Drygin, D., Streiner, N., et al.CX-4945, an orally bioavailable selective inhibitor of protein kinase CK2, inhibits prosurvival and angiogenic signaling and exhibits antitumor efficacy. Cancer Research 70(24), 10288-10298 (2010).
4. Agarwal, M., Nitta, R.T., and Li, G.Casein Kinase 2: A novel player in glioblastoma therapy and cancer stem cells. J.Mol.Genet.Med. 8(1), 1-18 (2013).
5. Quotti Tubi, L., Gurrieri, C., Brancalion, A., et al.Inhibition of protein kinase CK2 with the clinical-grade small ATP-competitive compound CX-4945 or by RNA interference unveils its role in acute myeloid leukemia cell survival, p53-dependent apoptosis and daunorubicin-induced cytotoxicity. J.Hematol.Oncol. 6, 1-15 (2013).
6. Kim, H., Choi, K., Kang, H., et al.Identification of a novel function of CX-4945 as a splicing regulator. PLoS One 9(4), e94978 (2014).
See how others have used CX-4945 (CAS 1009820-21-6). Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 30600261 Pankow, S.|Bamberger, C.|Yates, JR.| et al. 2019. Sci Signal. 12:
PMID: # 30142881 Lertsuwan, J.|Lertsuwan, K.|Sawasdichai, A.|Tasnawijitwong, N.|Lee, KY.|Kitchen, P.|Afford, S.|Gaston, K.|Jayaraman, PS.|Satayavivad, J.| et al. 2018. Cancers (Basel). 10:
PMID: # 28223413 Viscarra, JA. et al. 2017. Sci Signal. 10:
PMID: # 27707883 de Bourayne, M.|Gallais, Y.|El Ali, Z.|Rousseau, P.|Damiens, MH.|Cochet, C.|Filhol, O.|Chollet-Martin, S.|Pallardy, M.|Kerdine-Römer, S.| et al. 2017. J. Leukoc. Biol. 101: 703-715.
PMID: # 28873435 Lustri, AM. et al. 2017. PLoS ONE. 12: e0183932.
PMID: # 27033073 Misticone, S. et al. 2016. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 1388: 95-110.
PMID: # 24616922 FEBS J. 851-61.
PMID: # 32759324 J. Virol.