Cerulenin is an antibiotic and antifungal agent originally isolated from Cephalosporium caerulens. This product is synthetically derived. The compound acts as a potent and specific Fatty Acid Synthase (FAS) inhibitor and has been shown to block the synthesis of stearoyl-CoA and eicosanoyl-CoA fatty acids in microsomes. Cerulenin binds covalently to the active center cysteine of the condensing enzyme domain and inhibits the FAS. Leptin and Cerulenin have both been reported to affect the rate of metabolism in mice independent of the melanocortin system, with the difference being that cerulenin does not inhibit the neuroendocrine effects of fasting in mice. Mitochondrial investigations indicate that cerulenin induces apoptosis in a caspase-dependent manner in A-375 cells.
1. Schneider, F., et al. 1993. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1152: 243-252. PMID: 8218325
2. Inokoshi, J., et al. 1994. Mol. Gen. Genet. 244: 90-96. PMID: 8041367
3. Makimura, H., et al. 2001. Diabetes. 50: 733-739. PMID: 11289036
4. Heiligtag, S.J., et al. 2002. Cell Death Differ. 9: 1017-1025. PMID: 12181752
5. Ho, T.S., et al. 2007. Biomed. Pharmacother. 61: 578-587. PMID: 17904792
6. Murata, S., et al. 2010. Cancer Sci. 101: 1861-1865. PMID: 20491775
See how others have used Cerulenin (synthetic). Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 30098984 Campos, SS. et al. 2018. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 23: 788-93.
PMID: # 28775317 Sun, W. et al. 2017. Sci Rep. 7: 7190.
PMID: # 25815810 Ayllón, N. et al. 2015. PLoS Genet. 11: e1005120.
PMID: # 22365411 Kim, Y. et al. 2012. Eur J Med Chem. 50: 311-8.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.