BEC ammonium salt is a slow-binding, competitive inhibitor of arginase I (Ki = 0.4-0.6 μM & KD = 2.22 μM for recombinant rat liver arginase) and arginase II (Ki = 0.31 μM at pH 7.5 and 0.03 μM at pH 9.5 for human recombinant type II arginase). BEC ammonium salt enhances NO-dependent smooth muscle relaxation in human penile corpus cavernosum tissue. BEC ammonium salt does not inhibit nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and may serve as a valuable reagent to probe the physiological relationship between arginase and NOS. BEC ammonium salt is also an inhibitor of rat aortic smooth muscle cell proliferation.
1. Kim, N N., et al., 2001. Probing erectile function: S-(2-boronoethyl)-L-cysteine binds to arginase as a transition state analogue and enhances smooth muscle relaxation in human penile corpus cavernosum. Biochemistry. 40(9): 2678-88. PMID: 11258879
2. Cox, J D., et al., 2001. Mechanistic and metabolic inferences from the binding of substrate analogues and products to arginase. Biochemistry. 40(9): 2689-701. PMID: 11258880
3. Wei, L H., et al., 2001. Elevated arginase I expression in rat aortic smooth muscle cells increases cell proliferation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 98(16): 9260-4. PMID: 11470919
4. Colleluori, D M., et al., 2001. Classical and slow-binding inhibitors of human type II arginase. Biochemistry. 40(31): 9356-62. PMID: 11478904
5. Berkowitz, Dan E., et al., 2003. Arginase reciprocally regulates nitric oxide synthase activity and contributes to endothelial dysfunction in aging blood vessels. Circulation. 108(16): 2000-6. PMID: 14517171
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.