AY 9944 is an inhibitor of hedgehog (Hh) signaling, possibly via several mechanisms. AY 9944 inhibits DHCR7 (Δ7-dehydrocholesterol reductase) (IC50 = 13 nM), thus reducing cholesterol biosynthesis, and also inhibiting cholesterol esterification. AY 9944 may also directly block the cellular response to hedgehog proteins. AY 9944 is an inhibitor of EBP.
1. Yoshida, Y., et al., 1985. Reduction of acid sphingomyelinase activity in human fibroblasts induced by AY-9944 and other cationic amphiphilic drugs. Journal of biochemistry. 98(6): 1669-79. PMID: 2419314
2. Kraml, M., et al., 1964. Inhibition of the conversion of 7-dehydrocholesterol to cholesterol by AY-9944. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 15(5): 455-7. PMID: 4283982
3. Moebius, F F., et al., 1998. Molecular cloning and expression of the human delta7-sterol reductase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 95(4): 1899-902. PMID: 9465114
4. Cooper, M K., et al., 1998. Teratogen-mediated inhibition of target tissue response to Shh signaling. Science (New York, N.Y.). 280(5369): 1603-7. PMID: 9616123
5. Incardona, J P., et al., 1998. The teratogenic Veratrum alkaloid cyclopamine inhibits sonic hedgehog signal transduction. Development (Cambridge, England). 125(18): 3553-62. PMID: 9716521
6. Gofflot, F., et al., 2001. Expression of Sonic Hedgehog downstream genes is modified in rat embryos exposed in utero to a distal inhibitor of cholesterol biosynthesis. Developmental dynamics : an official publication of the American Association of Anatomists. 220(2): 99-111. PMID: 11169843
See how others have used AY 9944. Click on the entry to view the PubMed entry .
PMID: # 30212566 Zhou, W.|Debnath, A.|Jennings, G.|Hahn, HJ.|Vanderloop, BH.|Chaudhuri, M.|Nes, WD.|Podust, LM.| et al. 2018. PLoS Pathog. 14: e1007245.
PMID: # 26923021 Kim, Y. et al. 2016. J. Alzheimers Dis. 51: 1057-68.
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.