Aaptamine is a spongean alkaloid that can activate the p21 promoter in the absence of p53 and can function as a proteasome inhibitor. The compound is a competitive antagonist of AR (α-adrenoreceptors) in vascular smooth muscle. Aaptamine can be converted to isoaaptamine, 9-demethylaaptamine, and 4-methylaaptamine, with some of the aaptamine derivatives, such as 9-demethylaaptamine, showing antimicrobial activities. Research suggests that aaptamine can inhibit cancer cell growth and that its cytotoxicity may be due to its ability to intercalate DNA. Aaptamine is an inhibitor of CTRL.
1. Ohizumi, Y., et al. 1984. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 36: 785-786. PMID: 6150989
2. Pettit, G.R., et al. 2004. J. Org. Chem. 69: 2251-2256. PMID: 15049616
3. Aoki, S., et al. 2006. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 342: 101-106. PMID: 16480688
4. Bowling, J.J., et al. 2008. Chem Biol Drug Des. 71: 205-215. PMID: 18251774
5. Tsukamoto, S., et al. 2010. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 20: 3341-3343. PMID: 20451377
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.