16,16-Dimethyl-prostaglandin E2 is an antisecretory, antiulcer Prostaglandin E2 (PGE2; sc-201225) analog with potent cytoprotective activity that binds to PGDH (prostaglandin dehydrogenase or HPGD), but is resistant to metabolism, thereby inhibiting the enzyme. This enhanced resistance to metabolism imparts a higher duration of activity than Prostaglandin E2 (sc-201225), but the methylations do not severely affect the binding affinity for all four EP receptors (EP1,2,3, and 4). PGE2 is the most physiologically abundant eiconasoid regulating many biological functions and since this product has nearly identical binding affinities, it also has numerous and similar physiological functions. 16,16-Dimethyl-prostaglandin E2 is an inhibitor of PGDH and an activator of EP2.
1. Robert, A., et al., 1976. Gastric antisecretory and antiulcer properties of PGE2, 15-methyl PGE2, and 16, 16-dimethyl PGE2. Intravenous, oral and intrajejunal administration. Gastroenterology. 70(3): 359-70. PMID: 174967
2. Ohno, H., et al., 1978. Studies on 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase with various prostaglandin analogues. Journal of biochemistry. 84(6): 1485-94. PMID: 216666
3. Coleman, R A., et al., 1994. International Union of Pharmacology classification of prostanoid receptors: properties, distribution, and structure of the receptors and their subtypes. Pharmacological reviews. 46(2): 205-29. PMID: 7938166
4. Bhattacherjee, P., et al., 1996. Identification of prostanoid receptors in rabbit non-pigmented ciliary epithelial cells. Experimental eye research. 62(5): 491-8. PMID: 8759517
5. Failla, Marco., et al., 2009. 16,16-Dimethyl prostaglandin E2 efficacy on prevention and protection from bleomycin-induced lung injury and fibrosis. American journal of respiratory cell and molecular biology. 41(1): 50-8. PMID: 19059888
Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. is a world leader in the development of products for the biomedical research market. Call us Toll Free at 1-800-457-3801.
Copyright © 2007-2019 Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. All Rights Reserved. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology", and the Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. logo, "Santa Cruz Animal Health", "San Juan Ranch", "Supplement of Champions", the San Juan Ranch logo, "Ultracruz", "Chemcruz", "Immunocruz", "Exactacruz", and "EZ Touch" are registered trademarks of Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.